Let’s be honest, ugly sweater parties are one of the best parts of the holidays. It’s a chance to out-do that blinking Rudolph sweater from last year and come home with a first place ribbon that is sure to make front and center on the refrigerator. National Tacky Sweater Day is this Saturday and we’re getting a head start on Friday with our first annual Ugly Sweater Party.
Want to come but you’re not sure where to find a prize-winning sweater?
Thrift stores area great place to find sweaters of all kind- cute or tacky. Check your local thrift stores, and even consignment shops. If you’re one to really plan ahead, websites such as Etsy.com have some unique ones that are sure to get a few good laughs.
Make your own!
Ugly sweater parties are a great chance to show off your DIY skills. We recommend looking sites like Pinterest.com for ideas and how to’s. But if here’s a quick run-down of the process to give you an idea if DIY is right for you.
- Get your idea. Whether it’s through an hour of online searching or something you thought of that is sure to make first place. Print it out, or write down your idea.
- Make a list of materials. Items like felt, Styrofoam, appliques, hot glue guns, paint pens and no sew tape are easy to work with. If you’re feeling more advanced and want to make a Grumpy Cat Santa with lights, we’re all for it! But be sure to make sure your lights won’t overheat with the sweater material surrounding them.
- Shopping time! Again, thrift and consignment stores are great for inexpensive sweaters. If you have a specific color or fit you’d like, consider places like Old Navy, Target or Walmart. Stores like Michael’s always have online coupons you can use via your cell at checkout.
- Time to bring your idea to fruition! It’s recommended to make your sweater at least a day before you need to wear it, so that you can make any last minute adjustments or repairs.
- You’ve made it, now rock it at our Ugly Sweater Party!
Come and join us this Friday night, December 18th from 7:30pm – 11:30pm. There will be a prize for the ugliest sweater. RSVP on Facebook and if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. We look forward to seeing you there!